Featured RecipeMussels with Saffron Cream
Browse Recipes by Category
Enjoy your favorite recipe with wines selected by Jacques Franey, Pierre's son. Contact Domaine Franey.
from Cuisine Rapide , 166
INGREDIENTS6 pounds venison stew meat, cut into 2-inch cubes and marinated for 4 to 5 days. See Red Wine Marinade for Venison
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
¼ cup flour
¼ cup cognac
1 cup water
24 pearl onions, peeled
½ pound salt pork, cut into ¼-inch strips
12 ounces mushrooms, halved
Freshly ground pepper to taste
3 tablespoons red currant jelly
PREPARATION1. Remove the venison from the marinade and place it in a colander to drain. Strain the marinade into a bowl. Reserve the herbs and vegetables and tie them in a cheesecloth.
2. Brown the venison over high heat in four batches, using 1 tablespoon oil for each batch. Transfer the meat as it is cooked with a slotted spoon to a cast-iron Dutch oven.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
4. When the venison is in the Dutch oven, sprinkle the flour over the meat and stir well over high heat. Add the cognac, 7 cups marinade, and the water. Stir well and place the cheesecloth bundle in the pot.
5. Bring to a boil, scraping the bottom of the Dutch oven. Cover and place in the oven. Cook for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until the meat is tender. Remove the cheesecloth bundle. Squeeze the bundle to return the juice to the pot and discard the bundle.
6. Meanwhile, place the onions in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and blanch for 5 minutes. Drain.
7. Put the salt pork in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and blanch for 1 minute. Drain.
8. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil to a sauté pan over medium-high heat and cook the salt pork for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and onions. Season with pepper. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until the onions are lightly browned. Drain.
9. When the stew is cooked, add the salt-pork mixture.
10. Put ¾ cup of the cooking liquid in a small saucepan. Add the jelly and cook over medium heat until it is melted. Add the mixture to the stew. Simmer for several minutes, stirring well. Taste for seasoning and serve.