Featured RecipeLinguini with Scallops and Broccoli
Browse Recipes by Category
Enjoy your favorite recipe with wines selected by Jacques Franey, Pierre's son. Contact Domaine Franey.
Meat Loaf with Mushrooms
What is the best combination of meats for the perfect meat loaf? Pierre found veal and pork to be just about ideal. The veal lends itself to a smooth texture and the pork adds an admirable rich and flavorful quality.
INGREDIENTS¾ pound ground lean veal
¾ pound ground lean pork
1 tablespoon butter
½ cup finely chopped onions
¼ pound mushrooms, thinly sliced or chopped, about 2 cups
¼ cup heavy cream
1 large egg, lightly beaten
½ cup fine, fresh bread crumbs
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 sprig rosemary, optional
PREPARATION1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Ideally, you should use a loaf pan smaller than the standard size. This recipe was tested in a loaf pan that measures approximately 2 ½ by 4 ½ by 8 ½ inches.
3. Put the veal and pork in a mixing bowl.
4. Melt the butter in a small skillet and add the onions. Cook, stirring, until wilted. Add the mushrooms and cook until wilted. When the mushrooms give up their liquid, continue cooking until the liquid evaporates. Let cool briefly and add the onion and mushroom mixture to the meat.
5. Add the cream, egg, bread crumbs, parsley, chopped rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well with your hands.
6. Pack the mixture into the loaf pan and smooth it over. Press the rosemary sprig down the center of the meat loaf.
7. Place the meat loaf in the oven and bake 40 to 45 minutes. Serve with Tomato Sauce.